Love Fishing For Side Channel Browns.

 

Spent Tuesday crossing long neglected items off the to-do list, cleaned the camp, made a trip to the dump, (a cathartic experience), and drove home in time to pick up Jean at the airport. Her plane arrived at 5:30 so we stopped on the way home for what turned out to be a nice dinner at the Dark Horse in Dewitt. 

This morning we laid out our plans for the day. We have one lawn mower and two mowing jobs which  had to be coordinated, as did shopping lists. If I got everything on my list done by 4:00 this afternoon it was understood that I was returning to the Lordville Estate, Jean had commitments with our daughter on Thursday and her sister on Friday. A four o'clock departure would give me time to drop off food and clothing at Lordville and be on the stream by seven. All tasks were completed by both Jean and me, (I forgot to get my car washed), by 3:30, spent half an hour congratulating each other on our achievements and I was off.

What' the happs?  - With almost no help from anyone except Ed, who keeps us informed on the BK and the Willow, and Dennis who covers the WB above Deposit, you are relying on a reclusive old fisherman who considers the day a success if he doesn't see a boat or another angler. Never mind what you caught, who fished the drake hatch, when and where. Did anyone find Cornutas? Was anyone run over by a drift boat? Did anyone hook a Mermaid? C'on spill the beans.

Talked with a BK guide three nights ago who said he was killing them on Green Drakes in the BR, I thought that was over about May 28th, then I saw trailers and fishermen at Lordville on Monday? Left Lordville at about 6:15 today and drove up the PA side. There were three cars at Buckingham, at least one of which had a trailer, (saw the boat at Kight's). Stockport had four trailers and about a dozen vehicles. Shehawken looked like the parking lot at the Miami boat show. Drove upstream on route 17 to Hale Eddy, where the NYS DEC is upgrading the parking area (no drift boat access), there was one car in the lot, with an angler in the water downstream with his rod over his shoulder.   

Hale Eddy was clearly the upper limits for boats and wade fishermen at 7:00pm. Drove upstream, got in the water and never saw a boat or fishermen. What did I see? A few Invaris, a few stenos, a few spinners and a few hungry fish willing to look at anything that floated by. I fished both sides of a small island. One side had bugs and some rising fish, the other had nary a bug or rising fish to be seen. 

The fishing - Browns love side channels with deep cut banks, modest flows and overhanging vegetation. The one I fished had all four, and I had it all to my self. Treated the fish I caught with respect, removed the hooks from their mouths with care and sent them on their way. It was a very nice ending to a productive day. Can't understand why no one else was there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

Don't let that that rain come down.