It Really Doesn't Matter - -

 

After yesterday's split day and the 2:00am leg cramps that came with it, I decided to take it easy today. Did a little minor yard work, tackled some of my crossword backlog, drank lots of fluids, and tied flies. 

About 3:30 I drove up to Deposit, stopping on the way to look for sulfurs and rising fish, saw no sulfurs and any rising fish were being attended to by a surprising number of Sunday afternoon anglers, some in boats and some actually in the water. Finally found an empty pool, suited up and waded in.

The fishing - Was surprisingly good. Actually saw a few Hendricksons, Cornuta, March Browns, and Gray Foxes, not a lot of bugs, but the fish were looking up and if you saw a rise and made a good cast you were likely to at least get a look. Was joined mid-way through by another angler who politely asked if it was OK if he joined me. Wrapped things up at 5:30 with seven fish, the best by far was a fat sassy rainbow that went 17 inches. The only hook mark in his mouth was mine, ( would love to know where he's been hiding).

From Deposit, the plan all along was to drive back over to the BK and try my newly tied little black caddis flies on trout feeding on the tiny black caddis like last night. Alas, there were fishermen in every pool. Almost went back to where I was yesterday but my right leg gave a spasmodic jerk and I drove on by. Saw Mike, formerly of the Beaverkill Angler, standing riverside and stopped to talk. He had been fishing the Wendy's pool on the WB, had sulfurs from 3:00 until 5:00 when he said, "It just stopped". While we were talking a few fish started rising, Mike said he was done fishing and to have at 'em, so I did. In no more than an hour and a half I hooked six fish and landed five. The fish of the day was a heavy nineteen inch rainbow that took me on a merry chase downstream. The rainbow had been caught many times before as evidenced by the groove in the corner of his mouth where my hook was lodged. Tonight, he was apparently well rested and ready for a good fight.

It seems it doesn't matter where you fish. There's an assortment of bugs and feeding fish everywhere. The most popular places have rising fish but you have get in line and be better than me to catch many of them. Until the next heat wave, look for places without fishermen and fish there, you won't be sorry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!