Wind Knots And Tailing Loops

 


A word of thanks to everyone who commented this past week. As I've said before, it makes the reports more interesting for me, knowing how you are doing.

Dennis 2 - Asked about water temps at Stockport. The island below junction pool keeps a substantial portion of the warm EB water from mixing with the cold WB water all the way down to Lake Lenore. Differences in water density probably also slow the mix. The PA side at Stockport is always cooler than the NY side. Best and simplest way to determine water temp is to carry a thermometer.

Keith, sorry I missed you, it's always nice to be able to put a face with a commentor. The fish didn't cooperate but at least you got to see some of the Delaware trout in action. Telecaster???

Jim N. - I seldom fish sulfur emergers. Why? The fish feed on them in the water column and only rarely at the surface. I do much better using duns. BTW - You probably do well with your caddis because it's much easier to tie a caddis that looks like the real thing, just sayin'. 

Hackelhouse - Not sure what  "Really!!!" was meant to signify in your comment, but trout learn. Within a matter of a very few days of the onset of every hatch almost all of the fish have been hooked on duns. They of course also feed on the nymphs during their journey towards the surface. The upward movement of the emerging nymphs is not easily duplicated by fishermen and the fish are able to feed on the nymphs while seldom being hooked, which of course reinforces their subsurface feeding. A form of this behavior was well documented some time ago with a drooling dog.  

Duke - The only pattern I use for sulfurs is the one I tie trying to exactly duplicate a live sulfur dun that is sitting on my tying bench right in front of me. It's what the trout are eating and when they believe my fly is the real thing they eat it. Many patterns originated in the days before catch and release fishing and are at best impressionistic. Yes, if you fish a comparadun all day, you will get some refusals and maybe catch a fish or two, but to consistently catch fish, your fly needs to look like the real thing. I am somewhat frustrated by my difficulty in getting this point across.

With regards to fish remembering flies. I fish five days a week and am well aware of what happens if I go back to a place the same week. Going back two days in a row is for me, a complete waste of time. My GHOF has mentioned to me, more than once, that that rule may not apply to everyone equally. 

Andy G. - I am able to use hen neck hackles as legs on my caddis flies, but so far my dry fly patterns remain legless.   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!