Just An Any Old Kind A Day.

 

Worked in the yard this morning and got just as wet as I did yesterday. The twin fawns that show up most days in the yard without a mom, were back again today. Yesterday mom was with them, which I was glad to see as I was beginning to think they had been orphaned. The mesh cage that Jean and I assembled all by ourselves in less than two hours using the Chinese directions, has kept the birds away from the blueberries, but six holes have appeared in the ground inside the netting. I've yet to see who has invaded or from whence they entered, but I'm reasonably sure the blue berries will soon begin to disappear.

After yesterdays high temperature, strong wind, severe storm warnings, and tornado watches, today's cloudy, overcast, 77 degree day with a light breeze from the NW, was sorta ho-hum. I thought so, and the sulfurs must have thought so , 'cause most of them slept in, and didn't even show up for the mid-day hatch. The evening sulfur hatch, at least where I was, (below barking dog and above Hale Eddy), wasn't much better, but by then the fish were hungry and were feeding on what was put on the table.

The fishing - This afternoon I arrived at 12:30 and went up route 8 so I could drive back along the river from Cold Springs Brook to check the progress of  the Dorothea's and see how many guides and anglers were fishing above Deposit. Anglers were well spaced above the red barn but were lined up no more than a short cast from each other in the pay to play area. The boats? Next to none. People, if you read the reports and went to the red barn, it's on you. I've documented the slow but steady progress of the Dorothea's and they are probably still a few days from there. If it was great there today, please let us know, so the rest of the readers can get in on the fun.

Went below the Men's Club and spent two hours waiting for it to happen. It never did. Judging by the number of anglers in the river when I left, it never did anywhere else either. Was in the car before 2:15 and made the drive back to Lordville, where I ate a late lunch, took a nap, and read a book. 

At 6:00 I was driving up towards Deposit. Saw bugs at Hale Eddy and stopped at the first parking place that I found upriver. There were sulfurs, (a few to some), but surprisingly, fish were up feeding. I caught two 18 inch bank sippers and lost another good fish when the tippet was cut on something subsurface. Not a half hour later I made a cast at a rising fish, the fly floated untouched for ten feet past the intended target and was engulfed by a second fish, who had both of my flies in his mouth along with five inches of tippet. 

Hopefully both the sulfurs and the fish will be back up to speed tomorrow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!