Wind Knots And Tailing Loops

 

Jim N. asked two questions this past week and Dennis, (perhaps in hopes of gleaning some information that would help him make up for the fact that he doesn't tie flies and has a truly miserable selection of sulfurs), chimed in on the request trying to get info on the downriver fishing.

In answer to Jim's first question about the "wonder fly", no. I've gone into explicit detail about how to improve your flies and you can't even get mayflies into your house as models. You would need to get a far more ferocious creature into the house to have a model for the wonder fly.

With regards to down river fishing - Because I get bored with the "Sulfur Zone", at least once a week I fish someplace downriver in the evening. If I've had a really good afternoon of fishing, sometimes I go down river twice in a week. What have I found? I have not yet been skunked, nor have I caught more that 3 fish on any night. Saw a few bugs and rising fish and hooked three fish in the middle section one night fishing 6:00 to 8:00. Might have done better if I had stayed until dark. All other trips have been bugless until dark, when the fish start rising, for what, I couldn't see, but they have eaten whatever fly I've been throwing. DRC seems to back me up on this by saying any hatching down river is at dark or later. 

The rise in the water may liven things up, but I believe it will take cool evenings with colder water temps to get the bugs going during daylight hours. If solitude is your goal, downriver is the place, go about 8:00 and stay until after dark, any of the well rested fish you hook will seem a good five inches bigger than they actually are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!