You Know I Can Dance.

 

Decided to try some Trico fishing this morning in lieu of yardwork. Didn't have to rush as the morning temp was again in the 50's. Drove to the transfer station to get rid of the weeks trash and then over to the UEB. Arrived in timely fashion with the car showing 67 degrees, (Trico spinners fall at around 69 degrees). Knew it was a lost cause when there were no cars at Buck Horn. Continued on up to the wall, used the pull off to turn around and picked a spot downstream I wanted to try even if there were no Tricos. Never saw a parked car or another fisherman and I know why - there weren't any Tricos. Found a few fish practice rising, (there was nothing on the water), hooked four, landed three, only a 13 inch brown qualified as a "counter".

Returned to the Lordville Estate, had lunch, went 2 for 3 on Sudoku's, and picked more peaches. About 4:30 I was bored enough to take a ride. Did the big WB loop, up 17 to 8, then along River Road down to Deposit and the Men's Club, back to the town bridge, over to the PA side, (even though it isn't until Monument), and down the PA dirt road all the way to balls Eddy. Never saw a fish rise. Did see a fisherman take a picture of a nice fish with the Sewage Treatment Plant in Deposit as the background.

By 6:00 it was time to fish or cut bait as my grandfather use to say. I chose to fish. In the first hour and forty five minutes I got a refusal from a good fish and entertained myself casting tiny olives at what were mostly yearling fish. Hooked a 13ish brown that I lost 'cause I was in a rush to land him so I could catch the next fish, (that wasn't even rising). Is anybody else that stupid? Finally hooked and landed a 12 inch rainbow. It was getting dark and I was going to leave when I looked back where I got the refusal over an hour before. There were several fish rising and they looked to be good ones. Waded back and threw my little olive at them with no success. Tied on a little emerger, cast five feet above a fish and the downstream draft, (that's all it was), drifted the fly almost to the fishes nose, he ate it. A very short time later, no longer able to see the fly, I watched the bubbles around where the fly landed and when a fish rose amidst the bubbles I hooked and was fast to another fish. I was fishing 7x, each fish got into my backing and I was sure the drag of the line alone would break the tippet, but I landed both fish, (a 17 and an 18 inch rainbow).

Early in the year when big fish are common place, those fish would be no big deal, but in August when you see nothing but yearlings day after day, and a 13 incher is played with great care, those two fish were special, they must have been, because I danced back across the stream and up the hill to the car without ever touching the water or the ground.            

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!