If I Could Save Time In A Bottle, The First Thing That I'd Like To Do - - - -
The worst of the smoke seemed to have gone elsewhere today, blue sky, white clouds and sunshine. The bugs started a little after one and went until three with fish up and feeding the entire time. The bugs actually continued hatching in more modest numbers but the fish were full and stopped rising. I wasn't in the best location as the boats had to row right through where I was fishing, (my fault not theirs). After fishing I took the time to drive up River Road. The Red Barn lot and the Stilesville lot had six cars each. Red Barn was the usual circus but even with the binoculars I failed to see risers or many bugs. Upriver towards Cold Springs Brook the absence of both bugs and rising fish was even more noticeable. Drove back to Lordville and rested up for the evening fishing.
At six I headed out again as the hatch has seemed to reignite about that time on sunny days. The river had a picket fence of anglers down its middle from the town bridge all the way to Barking Dog and perhaps beyond? Fished a pool that had another angler in it when I arrived and we were joined by another soon thereafter. Everyone had fish to throw at until things shut down about 8:00. I thought they were sending a pulse down from Cannonsville but the USGS graph said no.
The fishing - You're able to cast at fish for hours on end when the sulfurs are hatching, getting them to eat is another thing. The best times for a hookup are when the bugs first start to hatch and again when the bugs start to wane. During the peak of the hatch the fish are eating nymphs subsurface and have no interest in your dry fly, (or anyone else's for that matter). Sometimes frustrating, but still exciting. Landed half a dozen fish out of nine hooked, none under 16 inches. There are times in my fishing career that todays catch would have had me buying drinks for everyone in the bar where I was celebrating. Actually, it was only my third best day this week, (keeping that in mind helps me appreciate how special the fishing we have today really is).
Comments
Post a Comment