Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - - -
With a large stationary low front using Albany as it's axis and rotating it's rain clouds over the entire north east there was no way to fish without a raincoat. Yesterday the heavy rain hit the Willow and Bk and sent the water level at Cook's Falls to about 15,000 cfs which is well above flood stage. The BR peaked back of the fishing camp at about 21,000 which is also above flood stage, (I will not be fishing the BR tonight).
Thankfully Cannonsville reservoir got some water but the WB was spared. The level briefly bumped up over 700 cfs but by the time I went fishing it was down to 650 cfs and was running clear. The radar still shows rain in the area but the flood watches have expired.
The fishing - Most sane people stayed home. Those here for an extended stay and those within an easy drive were on the WB. The bugs showed up, the fish fed, and there were lots of places to fish. The Red Barn had bugs, rising fish and half a dozen anglers. Stilesville was thinly populated with B.F.&F., perhaps the lack of sun kept the water too cold for the bugs.
I chose a place downstream which had a boat anchored in the prime spot. Decided to take a chance that the boat would move on and it did, was later joined by another angler, there was plenty of both room and rising fish for both of us.
How'd I do? The size of the fish this year is something I've never before experienced on the Delaware. I'm not targeting big fish, many of the rises I cast at disappear inside the rim of a teacup. Six of the eleven fish I've caught in the last two days were 19 inches or over and no fish was under 16 inches, (Ed J., a 19 inch rainbow was quite thin). Had put the vest on over the raincoat and got through the best part of the hatch before the sky began to darken and the rain began to fall. I headed for the car. Vest is hanging on a chair in the kitchen but the fly boxes are dry and still in it.
Evening fishing was again called because of rain. Tomorrow's weather forecast makes cutting the lawn and playing a double header a possibility.
Comments
Post a Comment