Yesterday - - -

 With very little new happening, this is probably a good time to list my abbreviations for the rivers in the Delaware System:

WB - West Branch

Willow  - Willowemac

BK - Beaverkill

UEB - East Branch Branch from Downsville down to where it meets the BK.

EB- East Branch from Junction Pool to Jaws, (confluence of BK and UEB).

BR - The Delaware River from Junction Pool to Callicoon, (also called the Main Stem).

Don't know when everybody enters the water to stake out their claim in the sulfur zone, but clearly 1:30 is too late. Found a little corner of a riff with half a dozen rising fish. Rose five of them, two refused, three ate, all on different flies, none of them sulfurs of any kind. With nothing else to throw at, I walked back to the car, and drove up to Stilesville, was awed by the number of boats and fishermen on the WB, and left.

Took 17 over to East Branch and 30 all the way up past Corbett. At 3:30 there wasn't an angler on the stream. Drove into the yard of an old acquaintance, saw a parked car, but the stairs to the front door were covered with pine needles, and there were trees down all over the yard from a relatively recent storm, (not last weeks). Was about to leave when I saw someone walking towards the house. It was a Troutfitter regular who recognized me, he told me that the gentleman who owned the house had had a stroke a couple years ago and that he no longer lived there. We walked down by the river and swapped stories about fishing, both on the Delaware, and out west, about the changes we've seen, the friends that are no longer with us, and how precious each day we get to spend on the river is. It was a delightful hour, spent sharing experiences with a fellow fisherman who has walked many of the same trails I have .

Drove back to the Lordville Estate, decided to get up early tomorrow to do the cleaning, (Jean's coming down), and went fishing. So did a lot of other people, (it's Friday night you know). Fished a spot that I was sure no one had fished in weeks, until I saw wet boot marks on the rocks in the trail I was walking in on. Whoever it was was gone and I had the place to myself, but maybe, just maybe, it's the reason I got so many refusals.

Keep your eyes on the road, had to brake hard twice this week when deer bolted out of the woods and across the road right in front of me. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.