Come On, Let Me Tell You Where It's At.

Spent a minute or to before writing tonight reading fishing reports from DRC, WBA, and AI. All gild the lily to varying degrees. I don't blame DRC and WBA one bit they are trying to rent rooms/cabins and keep the boats floating. AI, however, should be able to see through the bs and tell it like it is. DRC has had 3 pictures of fish in the month of August. AI says there are sulfurs, olives. isos and Cahills providing steady dry fly action. I say bull shit!

The sulfurs - God bless 'em have been on the water for more than six weeks and they still are hatching. The hatch is waning and the best hatches are up above Deposit. The sulfurs can be seen from about noon until dark. The fish seem to be ignoring them most of the time but will feed heavily in short concentrated spurts. It's still the best chance to fish to rising fish before 8:oopm.

The olives - Need to get get in the game. Traditionally as the sulfurs start to wane the olives start to hatch. Yes, there have been olives mixed in with the sulfurs, but not in numbers that have inspired the trout to feed.

The Isos - Have frankly been a disappointment all year. The spring hatch was next to nothing on all of the river system. It's time for the fall hatch to start cranking up on the lower WB, lower UEB, and the freestones. I keep a watchful eye out for Isos, have seen but one on my porch screen and two on the water this week.

Cahills - I say bullshit. Have not seen one Cahill in the month of August, and believe me I've been looking. 

The fishing -  Fished an "A" trico spot on the UEB this morning. There was a fair spinner fall, but a very poor showing by the trout. They sent only the third team, (smallest most inexperienced fish), onto the field. Never saw a good fish to cast at. When a cloud covered the sun a few yearlings fed, when the sun appeared all feeding stopped. This evening I returned to the UEB only to find the spot I had hoped to fish had two cars in the pulloff. There were also two cars at Long Flat. Picked a place I haven't fished since before Covid, (it use to be one of the very best pools on the UEB, but floods have changed the flow pattern and it's just not as good now), there were both sulfurs and olives on the water late but almost no fish were interested. Hooked and landed an 11 inch brown which once again held the skunk at bay.

Personally, I would find it hard to justify driving more than an hour for the fishing. It's just at a low ebb right now. A cold front, or a couple cool rainy days could change things, but we need colder nights, and the bugs to start doing their part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.