I Didn't Impress Them Much.

 After three days at home in Lafayette, mowing the pond area grass, seeing the ENT Dr., meeting with the excavator to discuss restoration of the bass pond, and a delightful dinner at the Blue Canoe with Jean and Susan, the surviving spouse of one of the original "couples" who participated in the first, First English Lutheran couples club canoe trip almost fifty years ago, I had things to do in Lordville. Mow the grass for one, hair cut at Vicky's unisex salon for two, and catch some fish before my hands started shaking  from withdrawal. 

Scheduled a haircut for 4:00 with Vicky on the ride down, jumped on the mower and did the lawn as soon as I got everything put away in the Lordville Estate, made two sandwiches, packed them in the  little soft sided cooler along with two of Jean's chocolate chip cookies, and a bottle of Gatorade and headed for Deposit. Arrived at 1:00, did the River Road drive from Stilesville down to the Men's Club, 5 cars in the Stilesville lot, (it holds 6 if they are careful parking), and 11 at the Red Barn, (with no cars parked on the roadside, thank you). Fishermen standing with rods over their shoulder from Stilesville to the Men's Club, some sulfurs on the water, no fish rising. 

The fishing - The fishermen were well spaced and there were no vacancy signs up in all of the "A" places. Found a pool recently vacated by a guy who walked further upstream, (not a good sign), and waded in. There was a modest hatch of sulfurs, some risers, all of which were eating nymphs subsurface. Cast at rising fish from about 1:30 until 3:45, (haircut at 4:00), hooked six fish, landed four, two of which were nice ones. Post haircut, I drove up to Stilesville, most of the cars were gone and I saw nary a rising fish. Drove down to the middle section where I got my A$$ kicked. There were a few sulfurs hatching in the bright sun and there were fish boiling, spent an hour being told repeatedly that "you don't impress me much". Undaunted, I drove down to the lower section, arriving at about 7:00 and spent the rest of the daylight hours hoping some bugs would hatch. Hooked and lost a nice brown on a blind cast and caught a thin 14 inch brown that rose 20 feet from me at at almost 9:00. You can still cast at fish feeding on sulfurs, catching them is another thing. 

Stopped at the Troutfitter after the haircut and was presented with one of the Troutfitter's little round plastic boxes that you get if you buy a dozen flies. In it were six elegantly tied sulfurs, David had no clue from whom they came, I think I do, but confirmation will have to wait until the morning when I can look back over blog comments from several weeks ago, it's after 11:00 and I'm going to bed.  

Comments

  1. Lobsters on the Lawn this past Saturday at the Blue Canoe was fantastic! Highly recommend the Blue Canoe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.