If Only I Could Remember Her Name.

Couldn't get excited about the Sulfur Zone today. There were sulfurs on the water in limited numbers while I was there but, few fish seemed to be interested. Yesterday I fished a good enough hatch to get fish up but it was well off the peak hatches I've seen this year. Talked with some of the anglers who said the hatch in the Red Barn pool started about 1:30 Tuesday and it was a good one. My drive-bys were at noon and four and there was nothing doing either time. Today the population of fishermen at the Red Barn swelled to numbers that on a trout stream are incomprehensible to me. Ran into, (no serious damage done), a guide later in the day that I saw anchored well below the melee at 12:30. He said a very good hatch of sulfurs started at about 1:30, which confirmed the report on Tuesday's hatch. 

Me? I drove around in disbelief at the number of anglers. Stopped at one of the Dollar stores to buy sponges and popcorn, (they were both on my list last Monday, but I didn't need twelve sponges or the 64 bags of popcorn offered by BJ's). The two places I would liked to have fished were each occupied by a drift boat and at least two anglers. On advice of a guide, who might just possibly have been leading me astray, I fished a downstream pool, well out of the Sulfur Zone, had solitude and little else. There were a few sulfurs, saw three good sized olives, two eagles, two Osprey, (one with a catch in his talons), a beaver, and nary a riser, except for the one big brown who stuck his head out of the water and engulfed my olive. Walking back to the car, I decided it was, for me, the better place to be. No fishermen, and one 18 inch brown, (probably with cataracts), that ate my fly.

At 3:15 I was driving back to the Lordville Estate where I totaled up the July catch data. Will be going home for another long weekend with an MRI on Friday and the placing of a new crown on old number 29, (he out lived the old crown), on Monday. Hopefully I will remember, and have time, to put the July numbers in perspective for you, say what you will, they are an eye opener.

Went downstream this evening with but a modicum of enthusiasm, was beaten to my first choice while I was doing a U-turn so that I could get to my parking place, took the time and trouble to interrupt the peaceful evening of a guide and his hot girl friend, then ended up at a place that salvaged the day without even producing a bug that I could see. Hooked two nice browns on blind casts and then hooked and landed three more fish during a feeding blitz that lasted no more than twenty minutes, featured  by my fly, and nothing else visible to an 83 year old's eyes. Everything stopped half an hour before dark which enabled me to get back to the car without another award winning fall on the rocks.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.