Old Friends Mean Much More To Me, Than The New Friends Do, - - -

 

Said goodbye to and old friend today. No, not a fishing buddy or a high school pal, it was just an old microwave. Jean paid $10.00 for it at a garage sale over thirty years ago when Candy, our oldest daughter, was going away to college. She used it for four years and then Cory (our youngers daughter), fell heir to it, and used it for the rest of her college days. The microwave's next and final stop was at the "Lordville Estate" on the shelf I built for it in the broom closet just off the kitchen, where for over twenty-five years it popped popcorn, poached eggs (it had a violator's license), reheated coffee, warmed meals, and thawed hamburgers and venison without a single complaint. Drove it to the transfer station  this morning with a heavy heart, dreading having to throw it into the scrap metal pile. To my relief there was a shed for electronics where I gently set it on the floor and sadly walked away.

The fishing - For me, has been very, very good. For the past two weeks, the only day that wasn't quite up to snuff was last Friday where I at least hooked three fish. This week, I have spent all three afternoons above Hale Eddy where there are still Hendricksons and paraleps. By far the dominant fly, however, has been the apple caddis. Whenever the sun pokes it nose through the clouds, they are everywhere. That said, I have not caught a single fish on a caddis this week. Why? Probably because I'm not fishing them. Haven't seen a single caddis eaten on the surface all week. What am I catching fish on? Hendrickson duns, spinners, and emergers, paraleps, and olives (big and small).

What's to complain about? The evening fishing. Usually it's my go to time to catch fish. Last Thursday evening I fished a combo hatch of March Browns and Gray Foxes on the Beaverkill and knocked the spots (and pink stripes) off them. Since then, I've not even been able to find feeding fish, let alone catch them.

There are all kinds of bugs hatching. Hendricksons are making their last stand at the tops of the WB and UEB. March Browns, Gray Foxes and Inveria (spring sulfurs) are hatching on all of the freestones. Apple caddis are now mostly above barking dog onthe WB, although a day with sunshine might reveal lots of bush hugging caddis farther downstream.

If you are fishing this week, know this, the WB above barking dog is a zoo. There are ninety miles of river with fish in it. Be adventuresome, fish a new place away from the crowds. You might well see me there tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

Don't let that that rain come down.