The Sulfurs Are Back In the Zone !!!


Biggest accomplishment this morning was the finishing of both the sulfur and steno fly box renovation projects. Tied some new pink ladies as well as a few olives, put water shed on them, then took them out to the car in a little plastic box and set them on the dash to cure. That done, I read about the upcoming debate, Caitlan Clark's most recent heroics, and the failure to include Alex Morgan on the US Soccer team for the Olympics, ( IMO, at almost 35, she just isn't as good as the younger players and shouldn't be on the team ((and she was my favorite player)) , but then, no one asked). After a late lunch, it was time to go fishing.

Decided to break my rule about fishing the same place two times in a week, and went back to where I fished yesterday. The red barn pool was wall to wall fishermen, (sans Adrian?) but the Stilesville lot had just two cars and magically no one in the water, ( they probably walked down to the red barn pool). I walked up the road as far as you could go, and fished my way back to the car, met a Troutfitter regular who recognized me by the Panama Jack hat. He had come in below me and had promptly hooked and landed a nice fish. Said he had my book and would I sign it if he dropped it off at the Troutfitter? Told him I would, as I walked behind him in my journey down river. It took me almost three hours longer to do exactly what I did yesterday, fish catching wise. There was wind, lots fewer bugs and just not as many fish up. 

Had a nice chat with another Troutfitter regular, and his landlord, who said the summer sulfurs had arrived in Deposit and that last night in the pouring rain every fish in the river was up eating sulfur duns. What he didn't say was that they were only eating sulfurs that didn't have hooks in them. I  fished the pool and amassed an impressive number of refusals, as did the Troutfitter regular, mostly all from fish eating duns off the surface, with mouths agape,and if I'm not mistaken, smiles on their faces.

It's early days, but if you want to try your luck in the "Sulfur Zone" bring your "A" game and join the crowd. Just remember, refusals make for a very watery fish chowder. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

Don't let that that rain come down.