Five Short Minutes Of Lovin', Is Probably Not Worth A Four Hour Drive.
Can't help but notice that the length of the days are shrinking like a cheap cotton tee that got put in the drier. Close to three minutes a day. Was back in the car tonight at 8:12, in June it was 9:45. Spent idle time weeding my "flower garden", others would call it a weed patch, to which I have no defense. It has an array of blooming plants that deer won't touch, Daffodils, Iris, (three colors), lilies, columbine, foxglove, (two colors), Cardinal Flower, (the Hummingbirds favorite), and a new red one that Jean gave me that I haven't learned the name of yet. There are flowers blooming among the weeds all season long.
Didn't head out to fish until 2:00 and once again headed east to the BK. Water was in the mid sixties, I'd seen iso husks on the rocks and, and, and - - - it was a bust. In a good rainbow run, not far from a thermal refuge, there were no flies hatching, no husks on the rocks and most likely no fish in the river where I was fishing. If you're counting, I've fished five pools on the BK, all reasonably close to thermal refuges, and have seen, hooked, and lost two fish. There might just be a lesson there for both you and me.
Came back to the fishing camp about 3:30 and may have dozed off for a bit. About 6:00 I checked the weather before heading out and the radar showed Lordville to be in the dark green with yellow about to arrive. Sat and watched the interaction between two hen turkeys, (no young), and the deer that were in the yard. One fawn was fascinated with the turkeys, pointed them like a setter, cautiously approached to within 20 feet of them and then ran over to mom and his sister. The turkeys walked over under the apple tree and started pecking at the apples, mom took charge and reclaimed the apples. The Birds weren't the least bit nervous about the deer, (animales, and fish, know things that most people, and fishermen, aren't willing to give them credit for knowing). BTW it rained in Equinunk but not in Lordville.
The fishing - Needed a cattle prod to get my rear in gear and go fishing. Armed with only the Winston, I avoided the 3 places where I knew stripers were waiting, moved upstream to a place where fish usually spent the summer in the BR, and fished for all of an hour and five minutes. Saw a few small olives on the water late and a handful of whiteflies. Actually saw half a dozen rises, only one of which ate my fly, hooked two on blind casts, and late, found two fish quietly eating small olives, both found mine to their liking. Landed all five fish I hooked, four within a half inch either way of sixteen and one that was 19.75 no matter how hard I tried to get him to be 20.
Note - No winners yet in the "claim the net" contest, but why does anyone buy a net, they are apparently stock daily and all you have to do is wait for one to float downstream and hit you in the ass.
Comments
Post a Comment