I Feel Lucky!!!

 Bright sun and warm temps may work for summer sulfurs but they sure don't help the olive and iso hatches. I don't think it got as hot temperature wise today as the weatherman predicted but the bright sun heated up the water well past where the olives and isos are comfortable hatching. I saw one iso and considered myself lucky after talking with guides and fishermen calling it quits between six and seven tonight.

If you're thinking about coming, think again, and wait for cooler temps, (especially at night). Nighttime temps in the low forties will get bugs popping. Hot sunny days for fall fishing are not the fisherman's friend. Look for an extended forecast of cloudy, cold, rainy days and book a room. If you're here now, talk to whoever you're renting a room from and get the name and directions of a "fisherman's bar", there will be both guides and fishermen there that feel your pain, (it's important not to be alone).

The bugs - Just will not hatch on days like this.

The fish - Are obviously fasting after six weeks of gorging on sulfurs, and are not to be seen risking skin cancer by rising for knotweed blossoms in the bright sun.

The fishing - (Thought you'd never ask.) Was, for me, beyond my wildest expectations. Was it good? Never saw a fish rish except to my fly. Saw one iso, and maybe a half dozen other mayflies while I was on the river. In two hours, I rose 8 fish, two refused my offering, six ate, one came unstuck at the net, (I actually lunged for the fish when the hook popped out, silly me), landed five of the biggest six fish that I have caught in September. Three of the fish measured between 13 and 14 inches, as did the one that "got away", the other two were a 17 inch rainbow and an 18 inch brown. Back in July and August it would have been a "meh" day. Ten days into September it would have justified buying the bar a round of drinks, ( I'm so old that I remember my Uncle buying a round of drinks, (all beers), at a bar, paying for it with a dollar and getting change back.  

The outlook - I know when I'm ahead and I'm going home tomorrow morning. Had some work done on the bass pond and need to get the roto-tiller fired up, grade the area and plant grass seed. I can't think of a better time to do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.

I Got This Funny Feeling, That We'll All Get Together Again.