I've Got Better Things To Do!

 Today was full of surprises, woke  to find that all the apples under both trees had been eaten which isn't unusual except that I haven't seen a single deer in Lordville all week. Normally there are more deer present in the greater Lordville metropolitan area than people. A week or so ago I mentioned that any apple with broken skin is  covered with bees. It has only gotten worse and perhaps the deer are waiting to eat the apples at night to avoid the bees, (of course they may also just be up on the hill feasting on acorns which are very plentiful this year). Started mowing the yard around 10:00 and quickly discovered that not only had the resident skunk been here digging up grubs, (which I'm fine with), but he had solved the mystery of where all the bees were by digging a hole the diameter of a football in the side yard and extracting the honeycomb and eating the honey. The bees were not happy and some seemed to blame me and the lawn mower. In addition to digging up the ground bee nest the skunk dug up three of the areas I had reseeded. Perhaps I should tell him what happened to the BK eagle after he went after my fish.

The fishing - Left camp at 3:00 and picked a spot on the EB. Saw what I will charitably call an iso hatch. As the iso hatch wound down it was followed by the start of a Hebe hatch, (which is how those two hatches work). Saw either two fish rise twice, or four fish rise once each. In both cases I was unable to make a timely cast at the first rise and when I did cast there was no response. The second rises both came several minutes later and 10 or 15 feet from the first rises. Both fish ate my first offering. Lost the "good one" a brown of about 16 inches when the hook pulled out when I tried to move him out of heavy current not 15 feet from me. Caught a third fish on a blind cast and thought it was going to be another good day.

It wasn't! Fished two more places on the EB, and stood on the bank of a third pool for a good twenty minutes without seeing a bug or a rise, (except for a few pesky brown caddis flying upstream on their never ending journey).

Returned to the Lordville Estate, washed off my waders, watered the newly planted areas, came inside and made a list of things I have to do back in Lafayette. Tomorrow, I'm outta here.

If you are here, quit fishing and start on your honey do list. If you are thinking of coming, don't. It may get better, but I've been saying that for the past five weeks. I'll be back early next week, (grass grows really well this time of year), and if things change I'll let you know.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.

I Got This Funny Feeling, That We'll All Get Together Again.