Rainy Days On Sundays Always Make Me Sad.

 It's Saturday at 7:30pm and if you haven't already figured it out, yesterday I bailed, (and I wasn't in a boat). It was sunny with a 10/15 mile per hour breeze, drove around for an hour and a half without seeing a bug on the water or a trout rising and quit. It has been another tough week, one super day and three days where two fish was apparently my limit. Have much work to do getting the landscape around the bass pond back in order so I headed home.

Those of you who have fished, (despite my warnings), thanks for your reports. There is almost no one on the river and those that are have found the fishing very difficult on the seemingly endless string of beautiful bright sunny days. I bailed on a rainy evening with fish up to watch a Syracuse football game, (won't do that again), and now I'm in Lafayette with an all day rain predicted for the Delaware tomorrow. If you're on the water Sunday let us know what I missed.

There are a few questions that have gone unanswered and now seems a good time to clean them up.

Jack asked if I changed tippet when I use bigger flies. Jim N. gave a good answer when he said he fishes 5x on the big flies and goes to 6x on the small sulfurs and olives. I stay with 6x all year long.Why? I use the dump/pile cast almost all of the time to try to eliminate drag and having the fly not turn over actually makes the cast easier to make.

Don K and Jim N - Devos???  Mick and the Stones are the only answer.

Dennis wanted to know when the best time to fish is in the fall. Warm sunny days, the last hour of daylight. Cool overcast and or rainy days, look for bugs from early afternoon on. As we get into colder weather in October and November the peak of the action switches to mid afternoon, (think Hendrickson hatch times).

Glenn - Thanks for the suggestion. will order some from Amazon and try it next year. Don't like using Roundup.

James had a couple -  How long do we have? There have been times in the last six weeks when I have wished for a mercy killing, BUT cold weather usually starts up Isos and olives and the little pseudos go well into November. The window each day gets shorter, (a couple of hours mid afternoon), but the fishing can be quite good. Second question was where do I blind cast? Usually in riffs and runs. The flat water pools are best fished when you can target fish.

Jim N - "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down," is a reach, and I don't mean the cast. BTW - on 8/26 I put one in your alleged wheelhouse and you didn't even swing? 



















































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.

I Got This Funny Feeling, That We'll All Get Together Again.