The Middle Of The Afternoon Is Fast Becoming The Prime Time.

 Had several chores to do this morning before heading for the fishing camp. Met with the guy who brought in stone to level the site for our new shed, sprayed Roundup on the patch of Knotweed that has, so far, survived our efforts to kill it, continued work on the bass pond restoration project, and drove down the road a couple of miles to pick up two five gallon pails of apples. By 9:00 I was soaking wet, took a shower, packed the car and headed for Lordville. Sometime after my departure the first genuine fall front pushed through. A stiff northwest wind of at least 15 had the wind turbines spinning and cooled things down, dried things out, and put space behind the hills. The drive down was slowed by the repaving project between Castle Creek and Binghamton. I was in no hurry and by the time I arrived in Lordville the cool dry air had the grass ready to be cut.   

With the wind blowing like it was Hendrickson time, I mowed the lawn, puttered around the yard, came in and tried to find something worthwhile to watch on You Tube, (which is now like reading the magazines at the grocery store checkout line), did the Monday crosswords, and at 4:30 headed out to fish.

The fishing - There have been two rain events since I left Friday morning and after consulting the USGS real time graphs, (Does anyone like the new improved ones? They offer a wealth of new information which I don't need or understand. I need to know the water temp and the cfs are and nothing more, and I don't know how to eliminate the other stuff). Anyway, after consulting the flows, and factoring in water clarity, (temps are all ok now), I headed east and up route 30. My problem, (one of many), is that I didn't realize how cold the air was with the new front, AND how much shorter each day has gotten. Arrived at a place with fish rising for both olives and the dam brown caddis that ultimately signal the end of the dry fly season. It's not Hendrickson time, (or sulfur time either for that matter), but there were fish up and feeding and I hooked eight or ten, played all fish carefully, and netted three counters (10, 12, and 12). It shut off before 6:45, (it was down to 57 when I started the car). Stopped at a spot on the EB on the way back and saw neither a bug nor a rise.

There were nine deer in the backyard when I got home waiting for me to shake the apple tree.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

Don't let that that rain come down.

I Got This Funny Feeling, That We'll All Get Together Again.