Here's What I Know (Next To Nothing).

 

Left Lafayette about 9:30 in what looked to be a foggy, rainy day. By Binghamton I had clear skies and bright sunshine. Called Jean and she still couldn't see the tops of the trees. She had my olive kinda day and I had her walk with Pam day.

Stopped at the Troutfitter in Deposit to exchange two leaders that I purchased by mistake. A month ago I grabbed three off the 12 foot 5x pin and put them in the fishing vest. Put on a new leader which was the right size but the other two were 10 footers. Dave said people put things back on the wrong posts all the time.

 Said hello to the new cleaning person who is filling in for "five star" room cleaner Janet, (she is recovering from surgery). The new "girl" Maryann, was cheerful and seemed eager to please, but the sheets on the bed in the room she was working on just didn't seem to be as taut as when Janet makes the beds. If you see her try to give her some encouraging words.

The afternoon fishing - Went out the window with the bright sun. At 11:30 there was "nuthin' happenin'" in my drive by of the Deposit area. Drove to the Lordville Estate, unloaded the car and planted the three tomato plants I bought at Lowe's on the way down. Asked my neighbor if there was anything the deer didn't eat from his plantings last year. He said "No". This confirmed my decision to stick with my 5'x5' fenced in garden from last year.

The evening fishing - Better than you thought it would be when it's five paragraphs down the page. All the freestones were  out of play again with temps between 71 and 72. Please don't fish them when they are above 70. Was forced to take a nap and do a couple of crosswords to kill the afternoon. Finally left camp about 6:30, drove up to Hale Eddy bridge and watched the water flow under the bridge with hot sun, no bugs and nary a rise. Did the big loop from Hale Eddy to Stilesville and back. Saw no drift boats, two pontoon boats and wade fishermen wherever a trout dared to rise. At 7:30 I waded into the water in a pool that I know has lots of fish. There were a very few of the 7:00pm Hendricksons on the water and a token flight of caddis over the water. If you stared at the water going past your waders you saw some very small mayfly spinners. In an hour and a half there were just a few rises, never was there any serious feeding. I cast at the risers, got some ignores, some refusals and three takes. When it started to get dark I headed upstream to where I would cross the river to get back to the car. Saw a fish rise straight upstream from me, I cast and he ate. On the crossing, despite my flashlight shining on the bottom ahead of me to avoid trip rocks, I saw several risers, and hooked two more fish before I got to the bank on the side with the path back to the car. It was 9:15 when I started the car.

The WB needs the spring sulfurs to step up. I don't know how far up the WB they are but good fishing depends on them. The freestones should cool down tonight and be fishable for the next week or so. Because of my time home and the times the water temperatures got up over 70 degrees, I have no clue what's happening with the big bugs on the freestones, but you sure should take a peek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

Don't let that that rain come down.