Thank The Lord For The Nighttime, Forget The Day - - -

 

Went home yesterday to say goodby to Jean. She flew out this morning on a six am flight to Ft. Meyers to visit our daughter, granddaughter, and son-in-law. We left the house at 4:00am and I gave consideration to heading down to Lordvile from the airport. Aborted that plan (it's still legal in NY), and drove home and went back to bed.

Actually got down to Lordville by 10:45 but was in no hurry to fish. The wind blew the car all over the road on the way down, the grass needed cutting, and I have failed to locate a single good hatch of Cornutas on my morning forays, (am averaging a single fish per a trip in the morning). Mowed the lawn, pruned some of the lower branches on the peach and apple trees, (to the dismay of the deer), and just maybe caught up on a little bit on last night's lost sleep. 

At about 5:00 I was ready to go, drove east on seventeen all the way to Horton, stopping at numerous lookouts and seeing nothing but fishermen attempting to cast in near gale force winds. Drove back west on route 17 to East Branch, turned up route 30 and drove as far as the Pleasant Valley pool. I'm not an entomologist but I can say with reasonable certanty that the drakes are hatching on the UEB. Why? At 5:30, there were about twentycars parked between the Sunoco station in East Branch and Power Line Pool.

Picked an empty pool on the EB, (or BE ((Big East)), as I still somestime call it), (Grammarian, stay still, Mrs. Haskins thought I should be a writer), and quickly found out that the fish have been reminded of the dangers of eating Isos. Why? The rain raised the level of the BE/EB and boats have been floating it, and the fishermen have taught the fish a lesson, (do not eat isos). In two hours I hooked and landed two 13 inch browns and suffered throuugh about a dozen refusals and ignores (neither of the fish ate an Iso).

Reeled it in, got to the car at 7:38, and drove over to the BK. Half way down a steep bank at my chosen pool, I looked up and saw a fisherman right in the middle of it. Did a one-eighty, walked back up the hill and drove to another pool. It's now 8:15, plowed my way through ten foot tall cane where two weeks ago there was a trail, the sun is just off the water and the fish are going! From 8:15 until 9:00, (was back in the car at 9:08), I hooked nine rainbows, (lost six of them), never lost a brown, (God love'm), and in the process was reminded of several things I seem to easily forget.

1 - You can't rush a rainbow. When he's ready to come in, he'll let you know.

2 - Walk into slow moving water, (if possible), to land 'bows.

3 - Love hooking browns, they seldom come unstuck).

4 - If you wan't to catch fish right now, FISH 'TIL DARK, (it's crazy good).    

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

All my life's a circle.

Don't let that that rain come down.