It's Nice To Be Important, But It's More Important To Be Nice.

 

 The combination of  yesterday's bug bonanza and the expected 70ish water temps on the EB and BK made the decision to head back up to Deposit a no brainer. Was there by 1:00 just in case, but the cloudy skies delayed both water warming and the hatch. Was surprised by how few wade fishermen were there. Had my choice of several places to fish. Stepped into the water about 2:00 and it wasn't long before I saw fish to throw at. Shortly thereafter, the sulfurs started to appear, (funny how that happens).

Had a couple of of interesting experiences with boats today. Hooked a good fish and had taken it to the slow water on the bank opposite the side I was fishing, a boat came down and anchored near the bank I planned on fishing. I had fish to throw at and his client threw at the far bank just above me. The sport hooked and lost a good fish. The guide could have pulled anchor and dropped down opposite me and set up for his sport to cast again. Instead he drifted down a couple hundred feet, leaving me a good piece of the water where there were bank sippers I had intended to fish to. We exchanged pleasantries, I touched the brim of my hat, and he nodded, as they floated by. He got his sport a fish further down the bank and I did just fine in the space he left me.

The second experience was not as pleasant. It was later in the afternoon and I had moved downstream. There were iso hatching and I had a pod of fish in front of me not fifty feet away. Had gotten ignored with an iso dun, changed to an emerger and got three opened mouth refusals, ( I'm sure the second fish grinned when he said no). Down the river came two drift boats, rowed by non- guides each with two sports on board. The river is both wide and deep where I was. They could have gone along the far bank and never bother me a bit, or done what most guides do and rowed behind me. The first boat rowed right over the pod of fish not 50 feet in front of me. The second boat started to row behind me, then changed course twenty feet upstream of me and rowed right over the pod of fish. The sport in the back of the boat good naturedly asked how I was doing, I told him.

The fishing - Not as good as yesterday in Deposit, but still good. Found isos and rising fish in the middle section, and Dorotheas, olives, and lots of other bugs in the lower section. Landed double digit fish, (just barely), all but three of which were between sixteen and eighteen and a half inches.

Just say'n - It's as important to thank everybody who is courteous to you on the river, as it is to let someone know what the've done wrong. 

Note to Jack - You have already correctly assessed the situation. I don't think it will be that crowded in the Deposit area. Most people make plans in advance and can't come or cancel just because A-119 says to. Thermal releases, if they are required, come in the evening so that they get to Lordville during the warmest part of the day. The water level is quite low right now and as long as you are aware of the potential for an increase in the flow you will have plenty of time to get to where you are comfortable. The increased flow of cold water usually shuts off the bugs and the fishing in the Deposit area.     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!