Always Enjoy Chatting With River Friends Both New And Old.

 

Was behind schedule before I even got out of bed this morning. Overslept and hadn't even finished breakfast by the time Jean called. Got a half dozen flies tied waiting for the grass to dry, had a nice chat roadside with my Olympic archer friend, mowed the lawn, and presto it was 12:00. Made two sandwiches, put them in the cooler with some Gatorade and water and tardily headed for Deposit. Stopped for ice in Hancock and arrived in Deposit at 1:00, well after the sulfurs should have been hatching. Below Oquaga, they weren't. Moved upstream and found both bugs and fish in good numbers. The problem is, they are now reluctant to eat flies with hooks in 'em.

The afternoon fishing was both peaceful and productive. Hooked and landed a nice 18 inch rainbow right off the bat. Then hooked a big brown that came unstuck downstream a couple of reel turns from the bright yellow backing on my reel. An hour later I landed my second fish, (a 10 inch rainbow). I know that most readers dismiss most of my theories/beliefs but the trout in the Sulfur Zone now know my flies. When I moved upstream, (and downstream on the way back to the car), I caught fish. In the pool where I've fished once a week since the middle of  June, there were lots of good fish rising, (like the dinner was free and the drinks were on me), but they somehow avoided eating my flies. 

Spent most of the intermission between hatches chatting with river friends. I've asked before and I'm asking again, please introduce yourself by name. You may well know what I had for breakfast and how often I mow the lawn, but I just don't know or remember names and in many cases, who you are and where I met you before. It's embarrassing to me. 

After my ineffectual effort to solve a Saturday crossword puzzle and a short nap, I started the car and drove around until I found an unoccupied pool. I wasn't in the water long before being joined by another senior citizen fly-fisherman. We exchanged courteous conversation, (he was as hard of hearing as I am), and we were both frustrated by the fish's ability to unerringly ignore our flies and select ones without hooks in them. Did manage to fool enough fish, (mostly late), to make it another good day. 

Hopefully I'll be allowed to join the Assoc. Eds. at their meeting. I'll even bring flies. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!