Today, I quit The Sulfur Zone, Cold Turkey!

 

Why? 

1- It has rained almost every morning in Lordville for over two weeks and with a departure time of 11:30am to be in Deposit for the mid-day sulfurs, I have been unable to work on what has become a long list of  weather dependent projects.

2-I get bored fishing the same pools over and over again.

3- The fish in the zone are now refusing to play fair. 

What good comes with not fishing the Sulfur Zone?

1- Don't have to clean green algae off my fly after every cast.

2- My landing net is free of algae for the first time in six weeks.

3- Was able to start tying olives while waiting for the grass to dry.

4- Worked on the yard from 9:30 until 12:30 with no worries about missing the mid-day sulfur hatch.

5- Was able to clean up, rest, and relax for over three hours before heading out to fish. 

6- Took a leisurely drive over to the UEB, where I watched the water flow by at numerous vistas, with nary a rise to be seen.

The fishing - Returned to the lower WB to find the sky's darkening, and with rain in the forecast, I decided to try to fish ahead of the storm. Caught a nice rainbow and a yearling brown in the 10 minutes before the rain came. Waited out the first downpour in the car and returned to the river in a gentle rain. There were a few tiny olives on the water, but I went with one of my brand spanking new size 16 olives, (which appeared on the water later), and hooked three browns that were all within a quarter inch of 17.

When I finished fishing the first spot, I headed for a second lower river haunt, only to find it occupied by two anglers. Drove to yet another lower river place that is usually well populated by fishermen, and when I saw no one there, I parked, walked down to the river and waded in with rising fish all around me. From 7:00 until 8:40, when I was back in the car, I hooked ten fish, all but another 17inch brown were hot rainbows. Anyone who says quitting cold turkey is hard, obviously has never tried it.

7- In case you are wondering, quitting cold turkey has nothing to do with Perfect Manhattans which have been exempted by executive order.

Warning - Quitting cold turkey is not for everyone. To make it work you need hot humid weather, which requires a DEC mandated surge of at least 800cfs to cool the water, cloudy overcast skies, a light to moderate rain, and bullshit luck. If by chance you get that combo, enjoy it to the fullest, I know I did. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!