Sometime Plans Aren't Worth A Damn.


Was up at 6:15 this morning and mapped out a plan for the days events while eating breakfast. The woman's soccer team was playing at 1:00, and I had already arranged for a room at the Troutfitter Inn  where I could watch the game. Planned on doing yard work until 12:30 and then driving up to Deposit for the game. Would forego the mid- day sulfurs and fish after the game. Plan was fine right through breakfast, then it started to rain, hard. Decided to wait out the rain by cleaning the fishing camp and tying some sulfur duns. At 7:30 the power went out, no phone, internet, lights, well pump, or air conditioner. It was so dark in the camp I couldn't even tie the flies. Power came back on at 11:30 so I could at least do a little vacuuming, (I'll just never remember if it's two c's, u's or m's, I get the red line every time), packed a lunch and drove up to Deposit only to find that the soccer game had been rescheduled for 6:00pm. Ate my lunch and went fishing.

The fishing - It was interesting to get Jorgen's report of the good sulfur hatch on Saturday. Hatches can vary from pool to pool and from day to day. Also got reports of good sulfurs at barking dog on Monday night, good enough sulfurs to get fish up above the Men' Club on Monday mid-day, but almost no sulfurs Monday night or Tuesday mid-day.  At 1:30 today, no one was fishing between Oquaga and Danaghers. For my money, if you are here for the day, dig deep, pay the five bucks and try to fool the trout at the red barn.

How'd I do? Started out fishing a riff I never see any wade fishermen in, and now I know why. In a little over an hour, with sulfurs hatching, I never knowingly moved a fish. At 2:30 I reeled it in and went to the nearest vacant pool, found sulfurs on the water and enough risers to make it entertaining. Then the sky began to darken, the wind began to blow, and the hills south of me disappeared. I ran??? (as fast as an old fart can run), back to the car, missing by about a hundred yards of keeping my Panama Jack hat dry. The rain didn't last long. I took the opportunity to drive back down below Oquaga. Saw two boats, one wade angler, and neither bugs nor risers  Drove back up stream and fished until 5:30. Ended up hooking 10 and landing 8. The fish I landed were almost all between 13 and 16 inches. If my plans go awry again, I'll just skip the damn riff. 

The women beat Australia's low block 2-1.     

          

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!