I'd Gladly Pay More For Three Or Four Cloudy Rainy Days Than I Did For My New Lap Top.

 

Today was another in a seemingly endless string of beautiful fall days, (unless you are a fisherman). Checked the weather forecast and those two rainy days I was so looking forward to, have now been replaced by two more orange suns smiling at me from my lap top. Have a number of unfinished to-do list items waiting for cooler temps, but the way things are going, it seems I'll have to do them in 80 degree heat.

 The Beaverkill went a little above 71 degrees today after topping out just above 70 the last two days. Thankfully with the big 600cfs release of 42 degree water from Pepacton the rest of the system is in good shape.

The fishing - Left the fishing camp at about 3:30 and went to a place on the BE that I haven't fished since May. There were fish there and they were feeding, but someone had obviously reminded them that some flies have hooks in them. Saw a rise, waded into casting range and on the first business cast, a nice fish ate the fly and ten seconds later came unstuck. Worked up into a riff where two fish made aggressive rises to my fly. Felt them both for no more than a second and then they were gone. What probably happened was, they refused the fly, but the fly momentarily stuck into their skin when I hooked.

There were a good number of fish in the riff, and they were only too happy to come up to my fly and let me know how much work I have to do as a fly tyer to fool them with my flies. Ended up landing six fish, (three of which were in the 10/12 bracket).  By six-thirty, everything shut down. Bugs stopped hatching and fish stopped feeding. Had a nice chat with a landowner who was removing multiflora roses from an old railroad line that runs along the river on his property, instead of driving over to warmer water where there might have been fish going 'til dark.

If anyone can do a rain dance, please feel free do so.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!