Too Much Of Nothin'.

 

Got half the lawn mowed and tied some flies. It occurred to me while at the bench, that I'll never be a fly tyer, rather I'm a fisherman who uses a lot of flies and they need to be replaced. Have taken my tying stuff down to Florida but somehow just never  sit down and tie a bunch of flies. Guess I need the possibility of immediate gratification to get me tying.

Left the fishing camp with no clear plan, wavered before turning left up Lordville Road rather than going over the bridge and up the PA side, hesitated again when I got to 97, then turned left foregoing downriver options. Ended up driving up the EB and fishing one of the places where I first hit the fall isos back in late August. I had only fished about half of the water that time and decided to give it another go.

The fishing - Was not at all what I expected. Saw some slashing iso nymph eating rises and several quick but delicate sips. There was no question there were fish, and they were feeding, but on what? My iso dun, emerger, and floating nymph were ignored. So was a medium sized olive. Finally got a refusal on a small dark winged olive. Looked around and saw a few little light winged pseudos on the water and in the air. Put one on and presto the fish ate. I was standing knee deep in a fast moving riff with no way to get to slower water. Hooked six fish and managed to land three, lost the biggest one when he ran upstream and the line caught on a rock, he's wearing a pseudo. The other two came unstuck in the heavy current.

When I moved out of the riff I saw enough rises to let me know there were plenty of fish, but nothing came to my flies as I fished my way down through about a third of a mile of river. Tried a multitude of flies with nary a take or even a refusal. Put on a pink lady, (haven't seen on on the water since June), and in about forty five minutes hooked and landed six fish, one nice one and the rest between 10 and 12. Don't have a clue what they were eating except for iso nymphs and pseudos. There was little to no hatching late and they certainly were not eating pink lady's, except for mine. 

Apologies to Jim D., didn't see your second post and I, like Ed never heard of Chris Kenner, thought it was a DC5 original.   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had To Get Out The Neosporin For The Tooth Cuts On My Index Finger.

Fishing A Cold Blow From Out Of The North.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!