Some days are like that

Bright sun in an almost cloudless sky is not what fishermen pray for.
Up river sulfurs never really got going below Oquaga Creek.

 With a fair number of fishermen on the water and little to throw at,
I spent almost three hours in the WB no kill below the Gentlemen's
Club fishing to four bank sippers who were eating tiny olives along a
shaded side of the stream.  I was in waist deep water in the shade and
almost froze.  Hooked and landed a nineteen and a seventeen incher on
a tiny olive emerger.  One only rose a few times and I never had a
chance to get a good shot at him.  The fourth fish was clearly smarter
than me. He totally ignored my offerings and went on sipping olives
until out of desperation I put on a sulfur. He came up to the sulfur
and somehow sucked it under without eating it and then never rose
again.

I drove down river with the heater on and fished in warmer water.
There were no bugs on the river when I arrived. Thirty minutes later
the water was covered with olives. Hooked and landed three nice
rainbows, then hit a wall.  The fish were feeding and they saw my fly
(many refusals) but in over an hour of casting numerous patterns at
rising fish I never landed a single one.

Some days the fish win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.