The teams played a day night doubleheader.

With the weather forecast calling for near ninety,  I decided on a split the day.  It was a good idea and would have worked even better if I had started out earlier.

Went to the UEB in the morning where a brown/green drake spinner fall was well underway.  My first two casts found fish willing to eat.  Thereafter the fish sharpened their game and refusals outnumbered takes,  It was calm when I started but the wind joined the fray on the side of the trout and made presentation of a size ten brown drake spinner something of a challenge.

Mid day activities included  a power nap, fixing a fence and bracing up a peach tree that the neighborhood  buck has been chewing on (all done in near 90 degree heat).

At about six I headed for the WB which I have fished exactly three times all season.  Between high water and the excessive number of boats, I have avoided it like the plague.  That said, it has the best bugs and the most fish. You just have to get those special Polaroid glasses, sold only at the Troutfitter,  that block the suns glare and make boats disappear.

 When I arrived there were bugs on the water and and fish rising.  There were  mostly sulfurs and gray foxes with a few march browns and near dark some green drakes on the water. Casting only at risers, I found fish willing to eat drag free casts that were "on the money".  The feeding came to a halt when the sun went behind the hill and I took a seat on the sideline waiting for the "evening hatch and spinner fall" that everyone has been talking about.  It never happened!  Perhaps the water level made the pace of the water where I was fishing too fast for the trouts liking but there were spinners and it is the tail out of a pool and it usually has trout sipping spinners.

If you plan on fishing tomorrow, get there by seven am!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.