The gods were angry again.

The day turned out to be a microcosm of the season.  Weather (high water, muddy water, thunderstorms, wind) has limited the opportunities for everyone trying to fish northeastern rivers this year.  When conditions are favorable the fishing on the Delaware has been quite good, however, there have been far too many days when we just couldn't play the game.

Today I arrived about two and under threatening skies, decided to fish close to the car.  Good plan but the sky cleared in the west and I ventured upstream farther than I intended.  From over the hill and out of the south came big black clouds, thunder rumbled, lightning flashed and I headed to shore where I sat while Thor sent bolts of lightning in my direction.

On my second stop in Deposit I got in five minutes of fishing before the wind blew the thunder began to rumble and the rain came down.

Drove to the UEB where I had time to hook two eight inchers before being blown off the river.  Three strikes and out.  I drove to camp in a rain storm that ended half way down the three mile road to Lordville.  Was able to mow half of the bone dry hay field that was my lawn before it started to rain.

It was 7:30 when I headed up the PA side of the river for a look see.  With Lordville at 71 there were no fishermen at Buckingham or for that matter Stockport.  The Hancock gage said the temp was in the low to mid 60s so I fished on top, up top, late and it was great! A 19inch brown won fish of the day over a handful of quality fish.

Day time is tough.  Warm rain water has messed up the sulfur hatch schedule.  The last two hours are when it is happening.  If you are overnighting - stay late.  If you are down for the day - drink lots of coffee on the way home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.