Never leave the table before dessert is served.

The trout must have eaten so many tricos for breakfast that they just skipped lunch.  Was standing side of the road about 4:00 still looking for my first rise of the day  when I was run into (see what I just did there?) by one of the  Troutfitter regulars.  We had a nice chat while dump trucks, logging trucks, farm equipment and a variety of pick ups (all with studded tires) roared past us.  Hope he went where he said he was going and stayed 'til dark.  When dinner was served the trout were ready to eat.

When I finally got on the water there were a few very small olives being served as an hors d'oeuvre.  A few fish were giving them a try.  Within an hour the action picked up as the larger olives (some as big as 18's!), pink cahills and Isos were served as the main course. As the last rays of sun disappeared from the top of the hills, every trout in the stream ordered olive spinners for desert. Rise forms that never showed a body part gave way to gaping mouths eagerly eating spinners.

Me?  If I wasn't shaking so hard from being in waste deep cold water for so long,  I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  Sure some fish refused my offerings.  Sure some of my back casts landed in the Joe Pye weed along the banks.  But there were enough fish that ate flies with hooks in them to make it one of the best days of late summer fishing I've ever had.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.