There is no correlation between being smart and being a good fisherman.

When it started raining at about 8:30 this morning my morning shift was cancelled (spinners don't do it in the rain).  With time on my hands I turned on the tea kettle and steamed a few of my more bedraggled flies, tied a few new ones and lo it was 1:00 o'clock.  Drove up to Deposit and visited with Lloyd Hornbeck,  hands down the best fisherman on the Cannonsville reservoir.  Left Deposit and headed downstream looking for those "rainy day olives" everyone talks about.  Got to junction pool about 3:00  without seeing a bug anywhere. 

When the bugs finally came there were Olives in sizes from  20  to "can't even see'em" all over the water.  Don't know who the cook is but he must be good 'cause the trout appeared  out of nowhere and ate everything in sight, including my iso emerger which was 10 times the size of anything else on the water.  The feeding frenzy didn't last long but the action was non stop while it lasted.  It's funny how sometimes the biggest fish will go nuts over the littlest flies.

When I started fishing it was misting and I put my fishing jacket on over  the outside of my raincoat.  It's much easier to access that way and if the rain gets serious you can always stop, take off your fishing jacket and raincoat and put the fishing jacket on under the raincoat.  Somehow during the feeding frenzy I missed the time when I needed to make the switch.  The fishing vest is hanging over the wood stove and all of my fly boxes are sitting on top of the counter closest to the stove drying out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.