It's good to be back "home" again, (with apologies to my wife).

Hadn't fished since last Tuesday what with the rain, high water, a day canning peaches and yet another funeral to attend up in Vermont.  Arrived in Deposit about 1:30 and drove around looking in vain for bugs and rises.  Was on my way elsewhere when I saw some waxwings working over the riff behind  the grass island above the Gentlemen's Club.  Turned around and parked at the G.C. lot.  One of the Delaware's veteran anglers was just unlocking his car and I asked him how he had done. Said he'd been there since 11:00, which was when the sulfurs had started Saturday and still hadn't seen a dozen sulfurs and but a couple of splashy rises.

Within half an hour there was a good hatch of sulfurs.  The fish? They took their sweet time to get going.  It must have been an hour and a half before they were feeding.  They got going good for about 45 minutes and they quit as the hatch waned

Drove down to the middle section where there were fewer fishermen, boats and bugs.  As the sun tickled the tops of the trees some sulfurs hatched and the fish were on 'em.  They must have been hungry because they ate my flies with relish.  I got to throw at a lot of fish because they kept coming unstuck.  At the nadir of my day I had landed one fish out of ten hooked.

Despite my bumblings several things are worth noting.  The flows are now at a healthy level, the hatch of sulfurs in the "sulfur zone" was quite good and the fish are there to be caught.  Down in the middle section of the WB there were no afternoon sulfurs, a sparse hatch of sulfurs in the evening, a meager spinner fall and hungry, eager and well rested fish. Take your pick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.