She said "Just go".

After last Wednesday's fiasco ( in my 6 hour drive, never saw a rising trout or a bug) I was reluctant to head for the camp.  It was 29 degrees in Hancock this morning.  The water temps were all about 41 (much colder than last Wednesday) and the water flows were at almost the exact same level.  The car was half packed but there was a big green/yellow blob of rain on the radar headed right for Hancock.  I think I'll wait 'til tomorrow I said.  My wife gave me a big hug and said "Just go."

Temp climbed into the 50's on the way down and  there was no wind. The yards in Hancock were covered with yellow dandelions.  Maybe, maybe.

Unpacked the car, turned on the heat in the camp, ate lunch and headed out.  The Beaverkill was the only wadeable river and at 1250 cfs wadeable means getting out far enough to make a back cast. I went there.  At 2:00 there were a few paraleps on the water.  By 2:15 there were lots of 'em and rising trout (all up tight along the far bank).  I geared up and walked the bank looking for something I could reach without scuba gear.  Found a few risers that had forgotten to move closer to the far bank when the water drops.  By 3:00 all reachable risers had either been caught or subdued.

Headed downstream and found one of the heaviest Hendrickson hatches I have seen in years.  Epic (just short of biblical).  There were TMTC on every square foot of water surface. Within 45 minutes of my arrival, the trout were stuffed to the gills.  Moved further downstream into the Big East,  Same bugs but water so high you couldn't even step off the bank to cast at the rising fish.

I had rising fish, some even within reach, all afternoon.  I found enough willing to eat to make it a good day any time of year.  A 17.25" wild brown nosed out (literally)  a heavier 17" hold over hatchery trout for fish of the day.

The wading is difficult to impossible.  If you have a guide trip lined up, don't cancel.  If you know the river system and can wade in high water, get down here and at least give it a shot before it rains again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.