Who said the drakes were done?

Because the Covid-19 virus has eliminated a couple of the things I do when I'm home in Syracuse, (Saturday morning gatherings at the Troutfitter and Monday lunch with old friends)  I have spent additional time social distancing here in Lordville.  It has resulted in me trying to find places to fish on Sundays.  Time was when almost everybody fished Sunday morning then headed home leaving the rivers empty on Sunday night. Not this year.  Once again there was no place for me to fish.

Left camp about 3:00 and drove around looking at bugless water from Lordville to Downsville to  Deposit to Hale Eddy and back up to Corbett. Finally found an empty pool about 6:00 that had a few sulfurs hatching.  Had no sooner gotten into the water when a car with three fishermen in it pulled up right next to mine. They had apparently reserved the pool as they all waded right in and watched me wade right out.

Driving down RTE 30 about 7:00 there was a blip, blip, blip noise on the windshield (green drake coffin flies),  found a near by pool with only one angler and waded in.  Saw two green drake duns right away. Within two minutes down the river came two fishermen rowing pontoon boats.  They rowed right over one of the three rises I saw. Got a refusal from one of the others and left. There ARE green drakes still hatching on the UEB (and perhaps on the lower WB), but I won't be there trying to fish.

In a last ditch effort to avoid a shutout, I stopped at a pool that has fish and amazingly  had no fishermen.  There were lots of black caddis spinners  and the trout were eating them as soon as they hit the water. Had recently tied half dozen of the black caddis that look so good I couldn't tell them apart from the real thing - until the CDC wings wrapped around the hook when they got the least little bit wet.  The fish ate the new offerings with relish as long as the wing stayed where it was supposed to. Got disdainful refusals when it didn't.

The river system is transitioning from "big bug season" to summer fishing, it's not easy to be in the right place at the right time.  If it's not happening where you are - try someplace else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.