All's well that ends well.

It's Friday.  I'm a little tired, the painting project has been adding 3 hours a day to my "work" schedule and it didn't disappoint me one bit to wake up this morning to a drizzle that cancelled both the painting and any other outside projects that might have been farther down the "To Do" list.  It was time to get my fishing gear organized.

Went out to the car and got my olive box and two of the three sulfur boxes and brought them in to be reorganized.  Tossed out some of the flies that didn't work or were beyond repair, sat down and tied a dozen flies (sulfurs and olives), applied water shed and put them under a hot light to "cure". 

That done, I washed off my wading booties and set them out on the porch to dry so I could contact cement the felt bottoms back onto the the boots where they were coming loose.  Got out my backup pair and put them in the car.  Ate lunch, put a few answers down on the crossword puzzle and might (just might) have dozed off for a few minutes. Arose from the recliner at 1:00 and headed for the Deposit sulfur hatch.  I was in Hancock when I realized that the dozen flies I tied were still under the heat lamp drying.  It was while walking into the muddy bottomed edge of the stream that I realized that the felt bottom of the second string boots had come unglued. Dave at the Troutfitter did a quick fix with black electrical tape. It was not until I reached into my vest to change from last nights spinner to today's dun that I realized that my olive box and two sulfur boxes were also back at the camp.

The fishing?  Are you kidding me?  Of course the water was covered with sulfurs, with fish rising everywhere. Had a pool to myself and my third string, wrong colored, too big, listing to the right sulfur  even got eaten a few times.  When the hatch abated about 4:00, I made the trek back to the Lordville Estate to recover the missing flies, fly boxes and the dry, clean but as yet unrepaired first string wading booties.  Drove back up to Deposit, found a pool with two anglers just leaving a now empty pool.  Armed with a full array of both sulfurs and olives and equipped with the first team booties I entered the fray.  So did another angler coming from the other direction  returning from a long walk upstream. We had an enjoyable time sharing the pool which had more than enough rising trout for both of us.  He caught a 17 inch lifer rainbow and I had someone willing to take a picture of a grinning old angler with a 20 inch brown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.