An immaculate conception?

With a forecast for ten days of relentless heat, I decided to work on the painting project and forego the afternoon fishing. I've had a difficult time finding hatching sulfurs.  For all I know the sulfurs might have hatched like crazy this afternoon.  All I do know is that there has been a very good sulfur spinner fall every night for over a week. The time of the hatch remains a mystery but there can't be spinner falls without hatching.

Left camp at 6:30 (a good two hours too early) and drove up the UE.  There is another pulse coming down the WB and while the algae shouldn't be as bad as it was yesterday, the unpredictability of how the pulse will effect both the hatch and the fish sent me east.

There were just a few anglers on the UE,  a small fraction of what was there a few short weeks ago. That said, there were four fishermen in the run I had hoped to fish.  Saw no bugs on the water and no rising fish from the Sunoco Station in East Branch up to and beyond Corbett. Tried two pools above Corbett, saw nary a bug or a rising fish. On my way back down stream I considered a mad dash for the WB but opted instead for an empty pool above Harvard.

It was after 8:00 when I arrived and I sat on a hummock of grass for over half an hour before seeing a rise. It was 9:05 when I landed my first fish and it was 9:47 when I got back to the car.  Hooked six fish and landed five in those 42 minutes. Can't stress enough, if you want to catch fish under today's conditions, either find an afternoon sulfur hatch or plan on staying until there is just a faint glow in the western sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.