So maybe the "sulfur zone" isn't so boring.

 Well I got it out of my system. Was on the big river fishing the WB cold water side before the fog burned off. Hoped to find enough tricos to get some fish up.  Never saw a one.  Didn't see any bugs of any kind for that matter.  Blind cast a caddis and to my surprise rose a dozen rainbows, hooked eight and landed five.  Before anyone gets excited they were all juveniles between eight and nine inches long.  Never rose a good fish but it does bode well for next year.  When the sun burned through the fog the heat was unbearable. Got back to the car soaking wet at 10:30.  If I wanted to fish the "mid-day" sulfurs it was too late to go back to the camp so I drove up to Deposit and talked with Dave at the Troutfitter.

 Went out at 11:30 and joined another angler who was fishing one of the pools above Deposit. There were good bugs and rising fish.  There was also a sneaky draft blowing right upstream. Sometimes the fly went where it was supposed to and sometimes it went where the wind wanted it to.  My new Panama Jack hat got it's first dunking courtesy of one of the stronger gusts of wind. Surprisingly the wind probably didn't hurt our fishing as the waves seemed to mask the bad casts and the fish kept right on eating. When we were able to get a fly in front of a fish he usually gave it a look and enough of them actually ate our flies to make it a fun afternoon.

Got back to camp about 3:45 and mowed the lawn, the two storms last week dumped much needed water on it but the hot sun this week will probably burn it up again. Finished up the lawn at 5:30 and sat down to do a crossword.  Figured if I fell a sleep it had already been a good day. It was a Tuesday puzzle and was finished before six.  Decided to drive back up to Deposit and give the evening hatch a go. The bugs weren't great and there weren't many risers but I got a nice 19 inch brown to eat my sulfur, he was fish of the day.

I'm pleasantly tired as I type this, have consumed two gator aids and three bottles of water along with my muscle relaxer. Will probably also down one over ripe banana all in a futile attempt at warding off the leg cramps that seem to arrive about 2:00 am following morning when I just might have fished a tad too much.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed fishing with you yesterday. That was one of my most enjoyable afternoons on the river this season. I also fished the evening hatch and you beat me again by the way. I did land 4 last night but my biggest of the evening was a beautiful 18" brown that didn't eat my dun but my trusty soft hackle. Good luck the rest of the season if we don't cross paths again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.