One less fly to tie.

 After yesterday's futile drive around the river system that produced nothing but wet waders and one 9 inch juvenile brown, I was ready to get even.  For once my prediction of water conditions was at least close to accurate.  The WB above Oquaga was relatively clear and fishable.  At 3:00 today the river below Oquaga was still muddy (or "stained" as those with a vested interest in filling rooms and guide boats would say).

At 11:30 there were over a dozen cars parked along the river from the Stilesville lot to the red barn. There was a boat anchored in the riff at the top of the red barn pool and two anglers in the pool. Don't know where all the rest of the fishermen were but I paid my five dollars and joined the two fisherman in the pool.  It was not money well spent.  Could have counted the bugs I saw without taking off my socks and shoes. Never threw at a riser.  Highlight of the morning was a fish that slowly came up, looked at my fly, shook his head and went back down not to be seen again. 

Drove back to Lordville, ate lunch and spent two hours on the computer trying to decide what cell phone to buy and what plan to sign up for. If I failed to mention it before, my Apple 4 passed away last Saturday. I had fond memories of the phone and was saddened by its demise until I found out that both my phone numbers and pictures died with it. Was going to have a joint service when old number 14 molar passed but right now I'm considering a sledge hammer in lieu of interment.

A glutton for punishment, I drove back up to Deposit this evening.  The crowd above and below the red barn pool had doubled in numbers of both cars and fishermen. Headed downstream and found no one in the pool above the Town bridge. Parked and walked in.  A few minutes later I saw a fisherman wading out to join me and another angler on the shore. Found out later they were walking up to fish the pool and were probably under the bridge when I looked at the  "empty" pool from the bridge.

The fishing - There were bugs and rising fish. Some of the fish were willing to eat a fly with a hook in it, what more can you ask for.  The fisherman down stream had a bent rod on several occasions and the fisherman who was standing on shore went down below the bridge and caught fish.  The hi-light of my night was the hooking and landing of a 14.5 inch brown that had two of my sulfurs in his mouth. He had broken me off the last time I fished there (he was 16 inches then). Took both flies out of his mouth and sent him on his way.    

Comments

  1. Its amazing how the trout stay in there spot. I once caught the same fish 45 minutes after I hooked him and got my fly back. That was on the Beaverkill

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.