It's now dark by 7:00!

Hats off to Jim N., Keith and Dennis for sticking with me while other fair weather anglers are golfing, raking leaves, watching football games or perhaps wearing out the bull's eye on their archery target.  Would like to tell the quitters that they are missing the best fishing of the year but Dennis blew my cover.  The last two days have been dreadful. 

Today I fished a pool in the lower EB that I know has fish, never rose one.  Went to the coldest water in the WB and found pseudos and rising fish.  Pseudos are tiny but they taste good and fish like to eat them - in very slow water, think tail outs, back waters and little eddies where the current moves the little buggers around in a slow circle. Got close to the risers and was amused by the fish's reaction to my flies. The now 1.5 year olds mostly ate the fly. The 2.5 year olds either came up slowly under the fly and then sank back down or came up fast and pulled out at the last moment. 

About 5:30 it was time to head to the BR.  For some reason (perhaps fear of no bugs in the still warm freestone water) the car didn't exit at Hancock but drove on down 17 to East Branch and the UE. Felt the cold release water gave me the best chance for bugs and rising fish.  Only problem was on a Tuesday in the last week of September in what has been a very poor year on the UE, there were fishermen in each of the three pools I was willing to fish.  Called it a day and turned around and drove back to the Lordville Estate.  My one countable fish for today was "The Thrasher" a very old twenty plus inch fish that has run afoul of my flies three times this season.

With archery season opening Thursday, tomorrow is the last day of the "regular season" for me.  Fortunately the team made the playoffs and I'll keep fishing on a sporadic and intermittent basis as long as the team keeps winning.  When I fish, I'll report, will also do a piece on blind casting for Jim N.  Dennis, keep trying new places, there are fish at Buckingham, they just knew you were coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.