Who said, "Suck it up, wind is part of the game"?

 

Got an early morning call that my tooth cleaning appointment was moved back from 10:00 to 11:00.  If the temperature wasn't still in the 30's I might have been p---ed.  If the cold temperature wasn't enough, another blue norther pushed the car all over the road on the way down.  Got to the river about two with one plan - try to get out of the wind.  Thankfully, the sun had done it's magic on the water and there were fish up and feeding on the cold water loving paraleps.  Fished a place "out of the wind" which meant that the gusts blew up the river at 20mph and then they blew down the river at the same speed. 

The fishing?  For two hours there were rising fish.  The number one challenge was locating the size 18 paralep on the end of the leader after making the cast.  The 12 foot leader went where the wind told it to go and of course the fly went with it.  It was cold, the wind was impossible, but it was way more fun than sitting in the dentist's office and having Aerin (sp?) (nice as she was) scrape a Covid-19  related years worth of  tartar off  of my teeth. 

 If you think for a minute that I called it a day at 4:15, you don't know me.  Drove down to the camp unpacked, put things away, picked up the small branches from my neighbors Norway maple that the porcupine had clipped off while feeding last night and - went fishing.  Not deterred in the least by the sub 50 degree temp on the porch thermometer (what does it know?), or by the flag down by the river that is STILL blowing straight out even as I write this. For the record, there were a few spent caddis on the water and I saw six or eight rises and got two refusals, but even 2/3s of the way through my perfect Manhattan, I have to say, "That was f---ing stupid! 

A check of tomorrows weather shows a South wind at 5/10 with a temp of 63 degrees predicted.  Call in sick, take a personal day, it won't get any better than that! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.