Looking for rainbows in the rain.

 The bugs are hatching everywhere. The yellow stones were all over the streamside grass along the bank of the BR in Lordville and on the BE in Hancock this morning.  There were isos hatching in the BK and I saw gray foxes and green drakes at Buckingham at noon today. This morning my screens had more brown drakes on them than I've seen since the flood of '06.

Left camp before noon expecting, with the overcast sky and cooler temps, to find big bugs hatching in the daylight.  I did (at Buckingham) but only saw one fish rise there. Drove a good length of the BE without seeing a rise, the lower WB was also bugless at one thirty when I fished a short piece of riff water there. A trip up to Harvard on the UEB also failed to produce rising fish or bugs.

Was ready to drive back to the Lordville Estate when I decided to give the BK a look. It was literally a boil with feeding fish. What was on the water?  There were tiny olives, a few green drakes, march browns and gray foxes but the only flies the fish were eating were the isos that were too cold and wet to even think about getting airborne.  For two hours I had my way with them. There were three year classes of fish (S, M and L) mostly all fat, sassy rainbows.

Tomorrow promises to be cold and miserable with temps in the 40s.  The water in the rivers is rising and the rain is supposed to continue until late morning. Frankly, I don't know if the rivers will be fishable or even if the bugs will hatch in the cold water. I'm heading home to see our daughter and granddaughter who are flying up from Florida for a visit. If the freestones are at fishable levels look for feeding fish and hatching bugs. (You might also look for Grackles along rocky shorelines where they feed on the hatching duns). If the freestones are blown out try the WB.  There were spring sulfurs there late afternoon two days ago.  Can't believe there won't be bugs and feeding fish somewhere. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.