And I cleaned the camp and did yard work in the morning.

 Today is the reason I recommend retirement to everyone. The weekend and Monday were too hot and yesterday was just plain brutal, cold and windy with no bugs until late.  Today was everything (almost) you could ask for as a fly fisherman. The missing spring sulfurs showed up when and where they were supposed to and the fish ate them with relish.  Unfortunately they ate them subsurface. From 3:00 'til 6:00 I saw exactly one trout dine on a sulfur dun and he (an 18 inch rainbow) ended up in my net. It was the only fish I caught on a sulfur all day.  Though you said it was good? Well, if you noticed, I stayed until 6:00, the hatch was over about 4:30. The fish were still hungry and proved willing to eat "stuff" on top. Landed four quality fish and lost two more. 

With no one providing information about the summer sulfur's progress up river, I decided to do it myself.  Drove to the game lands and in the still bright sun found a good mix of bugs with fish willing to eat them. To everyone's disappointment Dortheas were not among the bugs hatching but there were olives, isos, caddis and a mix of other mayflies along with assorted spinners. Started with a caddis with no success, then tried an iso and promptly hooked a nice rainbow on a blind cast only to loose it. Refusals outnumbered takes on the iso.  Fished a caddis and a medium rusty spinner for most of the rest of evening. When the sun got off the water the fish were much more willing to eat and with the nearly full moon providing ample light to cast I didn't reel it in until somehow the leader and fly got wrapped around the rod in a tangle that required amputation rather than untangling. It was 9:50 when I got back to the car (who said the days are getting shorter?) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.