There's a moon out tonight - - -

 After two days in the Sulfur Zone trying to catch fish that are feeding on spring sulfurs with, of all things, a spring sulfur dry, I admit defeat. Fished from 2:30 until six and never even had a fish look at a sulfur dun.  Did raise 8 to 10 really nice fish on an assortment of flies but not one of them ate my offering. Wide open mouths came at the fly only to turn away at the last second. Was clearly not even in the game.

Drove down river tired and discouraged.  Decided to try a place just up from Hale Eddy that I walked out of for lack of bugs and rising fish a couple weeks ago. It was about six thirty and the sun was still on the river. First thing I saw were Dortheas!!!  Not a lot, but I would rate it a poor/fair hatch. The trout were unimpressed in spite of what I thought were an adequate number of bugs to get them feeding. Caught a three year old on a blind cast and then a fish I saw rise, ate my sulfur. It was another entry in the saddest big fish contest. It was a 21 inch brown that looked like he had just won the TV show contest for losing the most weight.  After those two fish nothing happened for a long, long while.  At 8:00 the night had the makings of a disaster. The sulfurs petered out and I was thinking of calling it quits when a fish or two started to rise. Then I saw some spinners on the water (Cahill's I think). Didn't matter, the fish got eating off the top and for almost an hour my fly apparently tasted good to them.  It more than made up for the late afternoon fiasco. Got back to the car at 9:45 and drove back to the "Lordville Estate" looking at a beautiful full moon.

Don't know where to tell you to fish or how to catch them on sulfurs (ask Dennis) but when I stay on the river 'til dark good things seem to happen.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.