Maybe, tomorrow - - -

 As I sit down to write this, there is a severe thunderstorm warning for Delaware County.  It calls for 60 mph winds and quarter size hail. Fortunately it appears that the worst of the storm will pass to the north of Lordville. Where is it supposed to hit? Why Walton of course.  If Walton and the surrounding area get the heavy rain predicted Cannonsville (now  99.3% full) will spill. This coupled with the current maxed out release of 1,500 cfs will keep wade fishermen seeking alternative forms of recreational entertainment for the foreseeable future.

The drift boat fishermen ?  In their glory.  No wade fishermen to row around and no boulders to bang into the bottom of their boats.  Saw five boats go by me today, (yes I fished), and no one in any of the boats was throwing a fly.  They were all just sitting down letting the guide and the current carry them to the takeout.  Perhaps they caught all they wanted upstream or - - - oh never mind.

The fishing?  Well, I came down ostensibly to catch up on the yardwork but at 6:00 o'clock I had to just go and see.  At over 2,000 cfs my options were extremely limited.  Picked a spot where I at least thought I could wade safely and within ten minutes I was fast to a fish (a 9.5 incher).  There were a few (very few) sulfurs hatching and no fish rising. In an hour and forty five minutes I hooked four fish and landed three.  I also got 11 refusals (are you listening Jim N. ?).  No, the fish are not easy due to the rain delay. 

If the water is any higher tomorrow, I'm taking the ripe peaches and going back home.  If the storms don't cause Cannonsvilleto spill, I'll stay down here, do my chores, and hope wading conditions improve. For now, read the flow for where you fish.  If it's within your safe wading zone, it's OK to come.  Me ?  Even if the storm misses, I'd wait a day or two. 

UPDATE - The entire system got hit last night. The WB at Walton is up over 2,000 cfs and a spill seems inevitable, Oquaga appears to have peaked at over 1,000 cfs of roiling mud. Nothing is fishable for waders and it's even too muddy for the drifters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.