Identify the rod and reel and it's yours.

 While driving back to the fishing camp at 9:00pm tonight I ran over someone's rod and reel on that beautiful piece of highway running from Lordville to Equinunk.. Fortunately the rod was lying parallel to the traffic lane and I was able to straddle it.  Parked the car with flashers on, got out my flashlight and retrieved both the rod and reel.  Rod appears no worse for the experience. The reel has a gouge where it hit the pavement but appears to be in good working order.  There were two or three DRC trailers parked above the Lordville bridge earlier in the day and one of their sports might have lost the rod driving back up stream. If anyone knows whose rod it is please leave a comment and we'll see that it is returned. 

When I predicted in the weekend forecast that the cutting back of the releases would produce a "bug explosion" on the WB and UEB, I forgot about one important factor in the equation, the sun. Friday and Saturday were overcast and cold, ideal fishing days in July but without sunshine this time of year, the water temp doesn't get above 45 and although the Paraleps covered the water the Hendricksons were conspicuous by their absence.  Fishing was, for me at least, dreadful.  My wife must have been fearful of having to put up with a grumpy old man because she suggested that I stay down at the camp and fish in the sunshine on Sunday, which I did. Hurried back down again today in time for the Hendrickson hatch. If you were lucky enough to have been on the WB, BR or UEB any of the last three days, you have no reason to be grumpy. 

The outlook -  With sunny and warm weather predicted for the next three days you can expect Hendricksons and rising fish on the WB and UEB. There are still some Hendricksons and caddis on the BR but with the bright sun I would wait until after 7:00pm to spend time there. The BK and BE may still have some caddis action, either hatching mid day or spinner falls late but you won't see me there as the dreaded doldrums may well be at hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.