Does the three legged fox like pralines and cream ice cream?

 Yesterday I suggested that you go to the BR about 7:00 for some sure fire action. Well today you didn't have to wait 'til seven. It was a BR day from the get go, good water temps and a cloudy, misty sky usually means the BR fish will be willing to eat all day long. So who fished the BR? There were but three trailers parked at Buckingham and I never saw a boat downriver.  Why? Well there was a south wind blowing up river at 10 to 15 mph, no fun for the guy rowing the boat. Left camp about 9:30 and drove up to Buckingham to see if there were any trailers scheduled for a shuttle downstream.  There were none. Fished a piece of the river well below Buckingham for four hours without seeing any boats, fishermen, or bugs and not more than five rises to anything but my fly.  It was wonderful, the fish were looking to eat and my fly was the only item on the menu. 

Spent the afternoon finishing up the thinning of the peaches on one of the three peach trees, replacing and repairing the mornings battered flies and attempting to read a few pages of a book which hit me in the face a couple of times before I laid it aside and took my nap. 

At six o'clock I headed out, undecided about where to fish (fished a great sulfur hatch last night on the WB and was reluctant to miss the action by fishing where there were no bugs).  Stopped at Buckingham, Shehawken and  a pool on the BE without seeing any bugs (so much for "It was an olive kinda day").  Drove up the WB and at 7:15 when it was time to fish or cut bait, I waded into a pool, with the south wind still blowing (the south wind doesn't go down with the sun like the west wind does).  Saw a couple fish rise and saw a few sulfurs both on the water and in the air.  The later it got the more sulfurs hatched and the more fish rose. It wasn't like last night, but the fish that rose had less to choose from. They demanded an accurate, drag free cast, which the wind didn't make easy but they saw your fly and if it passed inspection, they ate.

How'd I do?  A top three day for sure, hooked and landed a 22 1/4 inch rainbow (my all time best on the Delaware) and he didn't even win "fish of the day".  A big brown (22 3/4s) ate a sulfur just before dark. Both fish led me on merry chases down river, the rainbow exposing bare spool twice while I traveled a good 200 feet downstream trying to avoid a spoolout. The brown left the pool, took me down through a riff and with a size 18 sulfur in his mouth, just would not give up the fight.

Just so you nature lovers know, my story about the three legged fox got shelved until the next edition by the editor who said "It is a fishing report you know".      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.