Just so you know before you go.

 Well into my perfect manhattan I feel duty bound to give you a sobering report. I've been at this fly fishing sport a long time and with the possible exception of Adrian Lasorte I'm on the river more hours a year than anybody. I fish hard and try to use what I've learned over the 35 plus years I've fished the Delaware to help me (and you) be successful.  I've had a very good week, one in a long string of very good weeks. But, it's getting harder, much harder. I've used the DRC fish of the day photos as an example before, with the same caveat - they have good experienced guides - it's not their fault. Before you come, scroll down through the DRC fishing reports and look at the number of fish pics vs river flow graphs and may fly pictures.

If you come (any you should) all fishing time during the day should be spent in the Sulfur Zone which you should now treat as ending at the barking dog  ramp.  Evening fishing (after the sun goes behind the  hill ) can take place anywhere the water temp is below 70 degrees. 

The fishing - In the Sulfur Zone there will be both hatching bugs and rising fish during the midday hatch and again in the evening. The fish look at every fly. The feed mostly subsurface on emerging nymphs (the boils) and occasionally on sulfur duns ( heads appear and you can hear an audible glup). They do not eat flies with hooks in them (almost ever). You will not catch many fish but you will face what is probably the most difficult group of trout anyone has the opportunity to fish to. It is an entertaining challenge to say the least. 

Near dark -If you are adventuresome go downstream, there is no guarantee but in the last hour of daylight you should see  bugs and feeding fish. If you do, the fish will be much easier to hook but much harder to land. If you go, let me know how you do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.