Mortgaging The Future Fishing.

With the last day of September at hand it's probably time for my sporadic/ intermittent warning page. Bow season opens tomorrow and I will be dividing my time between wading the river and sitting in a tree with my stick and string. With the rivers at good fishing levels and the fall bugs hatching I'll probably spend more time fishing than hunting early in the month with a gradual transition to hunting as the bucks start to move more the later part of October.  I'll try to keep you updated when I am fishing.

Judging by the decline in the number of comments it's safe to assume most readers have put their gear away and moved on to other fall time activities.  As always I want to thank all of you who have added comments, it makes it more fun for me. To those of you who just read the offerings, I hope you have found a nugget or two that has made catching Delaware River fish a little easier.

The outlook - Next year should please most people. The 2018 year class are grownups now and there will be more 18+ inch fish in the river than perhaps ever before. They will provide fishermen with many a thrill when "Big Bug Season" rolls around again next May. As with all things in life, however, there are tradeoffs that come with the 2018 year class.  The biggest one is the inevitable decline in the total fish population. Simply stated, brown trout eat their young! There are precious few one and two year old fish in the WB. Have you noticed that the huge flocks of Mergansers were absent from the river this year? Why? There is nothing for them to eat. It's a sure bet that the situation will become more noticeable in the next year or two as additional classes of yearlings are consumed by their hungry parents.  

Comments

  1. Thanks for your time in explaining system quirks, I will be closing fish camp in equinunk next weekend good luck archery season

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.