Things are looking up, a few of them are fish.

 

Drove home early yesterday morning for my appointment to get new tires and brakes. The bill came to just $50.00 dollars more than the cost of my  first car (a VW Bug). Spent a pleasant evening with Jean, packed up the car in the morning and headed back down to the Lordville Estate for the remaining two days of the fishing week.

 The weather (at 4:38 this afternoon it hit 90 degrees on the car temp gage) has everyone thinking bugs, bugs, bugs, except the bugs. With cloudless skies, bright sunshine and a brisk breeze, I was not going to fish unless I saw a reason to. Drove from Lordville to Livingston Manor and from there to Deposit, stopping everywhere for a look and saw not one rise. Spoke with several experienced DR anglers (the ones with the dirty, stained vests) all of whom felt "it was about to happen", alas it didn't. The water on the east side is in perfect shape for fishing, low and clear (well the UEB is still a little high).  But, the bugs and fish are not quite ready. Not as many micro caddis and stones as earlier in the week and still no may flies. The Deposit end of the drive had the 1,500cfs release and Hendrickson winds to contend with and again, no risers. 

The fishing - It was on the way home, tail between my legs, that I saw my first rising fish. There are very few places you can comfortably wade the BR at 3500 cfs. The first stop had wind and no risers, the second, was more protected, had a few fish rising and a few bugs on the water (stones, micro caddis, their respective spinners, tiny black specs, a handful of paraleps and one Quill Gordon). Fished for two hours with all casts at rising fish. The fish were moving from place to place looking for bugs, several fish refused to even acknowledge my fly, two turned up there nose at my offerings, five ate, and four "good ones" ended up in the net.

Maybe, just maybe, things will start to bust loose by the weekend.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my life's a circle.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK HOME AGAIN!

A rational explanation escapes me.